Thursday, November 1, 2012

rio...etc

Tomorrow we are getting our long-awaited sea shipment!  I am so excited.  I haven't seen my things for 4 months.  This big house is tile or wood throughout and it sounds like we are living in an enormous bathroom - the echoes are terrible.  It will be nice to have couches, rugs, and pictures to hopefully absorb some of the sound.  Not to mention I really want to sleep in my own bed with my own pillow.  I can't even imagine what that will be like.  We have been surviving in the mean time with some very spartan rental furniture.  Our bed consists of 2 twin mattresses shoved into a king size frame.  The big ridge in the middle is not very conducive to cuddling, and I'm a cuddler (until my feet come up to temperature).  The kids can't wait for their bikes, skateboard jump, trampoline, basketball hoop & tether ball pole.  Life is going to be hectic but so much fun for the next few days.

So...I have to get up to date today.  



Earlier this month we took a four day trip to Rio De Janeiro.  I was really nervous going into it because I had heard so much about the crime.  The first night I insisted that we be in our apartment before dark and I was going to send Ryan out to (get mugged) and grab dinner.  But then I acquiesced and we took baby steps to the nearest restaurant recommendation our doorman could suggest.

And actually I really liked Rio; in fact I think I could live there.  The beaches were beautiful.  We stayed in an apartment right on Ipanema beach with an amazing view.  We could people-watch from our balcony for hours, but we didn't because there was too much to see and do.  A couple QUIRKS about Rio (or they could be considered PERKS I guess if you're into that): the men wear speedos everywhere.  We would see hundreds of men a day running on the sidewalk sporting running shoes and a speedo - nothing more. 



Case in point: this dude stood in front of me for 20 minutes or more and did some extensive stretching - I mean down in the sand, legs in the air kind of stretching.  At first I thought he was retarded and I was cutting him some slack.  Then I thought he must be an exhibitionist and I was grossed out.  But then it was all cleared up when his buddy (wearing a speedo and a sweater vest) showed up for a heated game of paddle ball.  They were quite good, so I guess he's right to be taking his stretching so seriously.

And I'm not letting the women off easy, although I don't have any pictures to share.  I so wish I had my camera with me the last morning we were there.  Thomas and I took a walk to settle our stomachs after bingeing on a delicious breakfast buffet.  There was a lady in front of us (mind you we are at least a block from the beach) wearing a swimsuit coverup.  So the women all wear those tiny little g-string bikinis whether they are 100 pounds or 300 pounds, 15 years old or 60 years old.  This lady happened to be nearing her 60s and her swimsuit coverup covered just enough to make it look like she was a senile old lady walking down the street without a shred of clothing on her lower half.  All you saw was a shirt and a saggy old bum hanging out of it.  The full bum, not just a little cheek.  Thomas and I were busting up laughing.

Well, to sum things up we had a dreamy vacation.  We took the tram up to Pao de Acucar; we saw the Cristos Rendentor & we played on the beach everyday.

...8 days later...I never published this because Ryan's Rio video wouldn't upload and then our sea shipment arrived and it's been madness ever since.  So I'll try again on the video but I think it's the soundtrack...copyright issues with The Girl from Ipanema.  I bought that song while in Rio and blasted it every time we were in the car. The kids never did learn to love it like I thought they should.  Here are some pictures to hold you over.

















3 comments:

  1. yor life is such a party,but you deserve it for al your good works.
    I for one love that you are bloging.

    love you All. Haws

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm betting that you got some odd looks on the beach with your fully-covered tushie and the boys' long shorts. What a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to show this pictures to Isaac, but I am afraid it would make him completely home-sick for Brazil! Can't wait until we can go there together. I love hearing about all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete